Ballycanew National School Policy
School name: Ballycanew National School
School Address: Ballycanew, Gorey, Co Wexford
Internet Usage Statement:
Educationalists believe in the benefits of Curriculum Internet use.
The purpose of this AUP (Acceptable Usage Policy) is to ensure that pupils will benefit from learning opportunities offered by the school’s internet resources, and will be protected from harmful and illegal use of the Internet.
The school will employ a number of strategies to maximise learning opportunities and reduce risks associated with the Internet.
These strategies are as follows:
1. Acceptable Usage Policy (AUP)
If a pupil deliberately misuses the Internet or Email, this will result in disciplinary action including the withdrawal of access privileges. Parents/guardians will receive written notification of misuse by a pupil.
Acceptable Usage Policy for Ballycanew National (School)
1. Internet will be used for Educational Purposes only.
2. Internet sessions will always be supervised by a teacher.
3. Pupils will seek permission before entering any Internet site, unless previously approved by a teacher.
4. Filtering software will be used to minimise the risk of exposure to inappropriate material. (note this will be provided by School Broadband Programme)
5. The school will regularly monitor pupils’ internet usage.
6. Computer History will be checked on a regular basis.
7. Pupils will receive training in the area of Internet Safety.
8. Pupils will be taught to evaluate the content of Internet sites.
9. Teachers will be made aware of Internet Safety issues.
10. Uploading and downloading of non-approved material is banned.
11. Virus protection software will be used and updated on a regular basis.
12. The use of personal floppy disks, external storage devices or CD-ROMS in school requires a teacher’s permission.
13. Pupils will observe good “netiquette” (etiquette on the Internet) at all times and will not undertake any action that may bring a school into disrepute.