Ballycanew National School is a co-educational, Catholic, primary school, which strives to provide a well ordered, caring, happy and secure atmosphere where the intellectual, spiritual, physical, moral and cultural needs of the pupils are identified and addressed.
While Ballycanew N.S. is a school with a Catholic ethos, it also gives due recognition to all other religions.
Ballycanew N.S will encourage the involvement of parents through home/school contacts and through their involvement in the Ballycanew Parent's Association.
Ballycanew N.S will endeavour to enhance the self-esteem of everyone in the school community, to imbue in the pupils respect for people and property and to encourage in them the idea of being responsible and self-reliant.
Ballycanew N.S will promote gender equality amongst the teachers and pupils.
The school motto is: Ag obair le chéile
1. To provide a secure and happy atmosphere in which children can learn effectively
2. To encourage children to become responsible and independent.
3. To foster an attitude of care towards people and things around us.
4. To ensure that children reach the highest possible level in literacy and numeracy.
5. To help children to express themselves creatively through language, movement, art and music.
6. To help children through religious and moral, historical, geographical and scientific studies, to explore the world in which they are growing up and to understand their own particular place/ situation within.
7. To integrate all children fully whatever their needs and backgrounds.